24 Mar Call for SPJ Western Washington scholarship applicants
The Western Washington chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists is calling for applicants forÂ four scholarships for deserving Washington state journalism students. The scholarships for the 2016-2017 school year are as follows:
- Two SPJ Western Washington Pro chapter scholarships of $4,500 each toÂ undergraduates majoring in journalism or communications at two-year or four-year colleges in Washington.
- OneÂ June Anderson Almquist Memorial Scholarship for $3,500 offered to a female undergraduate student majoring in journalism at University of Washington.
- One Gala Scholarship sponsored by the SPJ Western Washington Pro chapter and a Washington state media outlet that goes to a deserving Washington state journalism student. This scholarship is based on gala fundraising and will be at leastÂ $2,500.Â
The deadline for scholarship applications is April 22 at 5 p.m. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Applicants can apply by emailing the following materials to SPJWAscholarships@gmail.com:Â
- Â A maximum 500-word personal essay answering the question, â€œWhy have you chosen a journalism career and what do you hope to accomplish after college?â€
- A copy of your resume. Please include current contact information (mailing address, email and phone number). Also include what year of college you are in, your major and what year you expect to graduate.
- Three work samples â€“ these can be PDFs of print stories or links to online stories or multimedia (photography, audio or video).
- An unofficial transcript that shows your college credits.
Questions? Send us an email atÂ SPJWash@gmail.com.Â