28 Feb Deadline approaching for three journalism scholarships: Apply today!
Two scholarships totaling $4,000 are being offered by the Western Washington Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
The $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students majoring in journalism or communications at two-year or four-year colleges in the state of Washington. Awards are for the 2011-2012 school year. A third endowed scholarship will be awarded to a female University of Washington communications major.
Applicants need not be members of SPJ, but must intend to pursue a journalism career.
Please send all requested materials to the address listed below, including a resume. Also please submit a second digital resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send the materials to:
Everett, WA 98203
ATTN: SPJ Scholarships
To apply, send the following required information in a single packet so that it is postmarked byÂ March 8:
1. A letter of application, including a succinct answer to the question: â€œWhy have you have chosen a journalism career and what do you hope to accomplish after college?â€ (500 words maximum)
2. A copy of your resume, including current address, e-mail, phone number, what year of college you are in, your major, what year you plan to graduate and your hometown.
3. A letter of recommendation (i.e., from a college professor or a work supervisor). Enclose it in a separate envelope in your packet. Please have the person writing the letter of recommendation include her or his phone and e-mail contacts.
4. An official transcript of all your college credits.
5. No more than three work samples (clips, audio or video).
6. You may include any statement of unusual financial need.
NOTE: Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
Questions? Contact Sharon Salyer, Scholarship Chair, by email at