24 Feb Hey, journalism students: Apply for these SPJ scholarships!
— by board member Sharon Salyer
Area students, this one’s for you:
The Western Washington Chapter of SPJ is awarding two scholarships for $2,000 to undergraduate students majoring in journalism or communications at two-year or four-year colleges in the state of Washington. Awards are for the 2012-2013 school year.
A third $2,000 scholarship is being offered to female undergraduate students majoring in editorial journalism at the University of Washington.
The deadline is March 9, so apply soon! Just send the following in a single packet so that it’s postmarked by March 9, 2012:
- A letter of application, including a succinct answer to the question: “Why have you have chosen a journalism career and what do you hope to accomplish after college?” (500 words maximum)
- A copy of your resume, including current address, email, phone number, what year of college you are in, your major, what year you plan to graduate and your hometown. Please also send a second digital copy toÂ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A letter of recommendation from a college professor or a work supervisor. Enclose it in a separate envelope in your packet. Please have the person writing the letter of recommendation include her or his phone and email contacts.
- An official transcript of all your college credits.
- No more than three work samples (clips or links to stories, audio, photography or video).
- You may include any statement of unusual financial need.
- Please indicate if you have previously applied for a SPJ Scholarship.
Please send the materials to:
Everett, WA 98203
ATTN: SPJ Scholarships
Note: Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
Questions? Contact Sharon Salyer, Scholarship Chair, by email at email@example.com